09-27-2012, 03:22 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
I wouldnt count on it.

I think the general consensus so far would be that if an entire season was wiped out theyd use the same or a similar format as they did last time. I think it was very simplistic based simply on recent first overall picks and playoff appearances.

If I were to come up with a formula I think I'd have to include more variables. Based on a 3 year period.
Each team starts with 10 balls
-1 ball per playoff appearance
-2 balls per first overall draft choice
-1 ball per top 3 draft choice
-3 balls per nhl finals appearance

Every team gets at least 1 ball no matter the calculation results.

Obviously this would give Dallas a great chance at a top overall pick and my bias might be involved here but I do think its fair that teams that have picked 2nd or 3rd have a slightly lower chance of picking first than a team that hasn't. I think in general top 3 sort of separates itself in a draft year but I think the case could be made for top 5 as well.
The actual formula is that every team starts off with 3 balls. For each playoff appearance you've made in the past 3 years, you lose one ball. Also, if you've had a 1st overall pick in the last 4 years, you lose a ball. You can't lose them all though, guaranteed at least one. We'd end up with 3, and only about 10-14 teams have more than 1, so I do like our chances, but I certainly wouldn't go out and say we're guaranteed a top pick.