09-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
I don't need to research, I know the NHL, I know Columbus' roster
Judging by your responses so far... no you don't. Your reply consists of about 10% "IMO" and 90% "I just ****ing know and you don't."

Quote:
and Alexander Edler would not be on a bottom pairing. The end.
Compelling! And yet potentially awkward, seeing as though he would indisputably be at a minimum duking it out with JMFJ for the same position on the blueline.

Quote:
He's one of the Canucks' (an elite team) best defenceman,
Boston is an elite team (arguably moreso than Vancouver). Edmonton is a poor team that is not doing well (arguably worse than Columbus). Milan Lucic is arguably Boston's best winger. Does that therefore mean that Lucic would be Edmonton's best winger?

Quote:
But guys like Tyutin, Nikitin and James Wisneiwski are going to play ahead of him? No freaking way.
Nikitin and Wisniewski play the right side, which is where Edler is at a significant disadvantage. And Tyutin is suffering from Did Not Do The Research here.

Quote:
This guy would be a top pairing defenceman on Columbus and I don't care about their current pairings.
It's statements like this that really convince me that you know Columbus very well.

Quote:
In my opinion he's better than any of them, and normally you play the best players the most.
Very true. You play your best overall guys the most and give them the hardest minutes. Which is why the Tyutin-Nikitin pairing will probably ultimately lead us in ice time again, despite their terminal lack of glory.

Quote:
This is a 50-point, 20+ minute a night guy that plays in all situations for a top team, can make break-out passes and lay massive hits, with size and reach.
20 minutes a night? Every single one of our top-4 guys averaged 25+ minutes a night last year or more.

Scoring? Edler - unlike Wisniewski - has never actually cracked 50 points. His career average is just under half a point per game, although recent upward trends suggest that something over half a point per game would be a better expectation. JMFJ's gotten reasonably close to that, and so has Nikitin.

Playing in all situations? That fits Tyutin and Nikitin quite well. JMFJ's also done that for us and done much better than anyone would have guessed, but it was largely out of necessity. Wisniewski... probably not a good idea.

Breakout passes? Nikitin is a ****ing wizard at 'em. Tyutin might be best described as "above average". JMFJ can do a very good job with them, but I mostly noticed him just carrying the puck up himself. Likewise with Wisniewski.

Hitting hard? That's where Wisniewski shines. JMFJ's also capable. Tyutin can hipcheck shockingly well but doesn't do so enough. Nikitin is... okay.

Size and reach? Tyutin and Nikitin are the same size as Edler. Wisniewski's "relatively undersized" at 6' 208lb or so and is shockingly strong for his size. JMFJ's somewhere in the middle there.

So... which defensemen were you describing again?

Quote:
You give him to Todd Richards and he'd be among your top dmen, beleive me.
I don't doubt it. But we already have a lot of those guys. Determining the actual order would require them all being on the team simultaneously, and it'd be a bit of a close race, with various statistical categories favoring different players.

Quote:
If Edler went to Columbus tomorrow and the season started and Edler wasn't on the top pair, Richards doesn't deserve a job.
Well, he'd certainly be among the most noticed; does that count?

Quote:
And if the rest of your posts in this thread randomly meander without touching on any of the actual points as your reply to mine did, I'll skip it thanks.
Generally, when the flaw in one's argument is based on poor assumptions and poor conclusions, attempting to debate as though those conclusions are immutable accomplishes nothing. If I'm attempting to debate with someone suggesting that Shea Weber sucks because there are wingers better than him, the most reasonable counterargument is "he's not a winger, and so the comparison is invalid"; attempting to counter based on, say, his scoring just completely misses the point.

So if it looks like I'm "meandering", it's because I think you're doing it wrong.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!

Last edited by Viqsi: 09-27-2012 at 07:21 PM. Reason: typoed Wiz's weight
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote