View Single Post
Old
09-28-2012, 01:31 PM
Harnessed in Slums

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I like the insinuation in what he said that the owners are doing the players a favor by employing them and paying them big money. Like they aren't doing it to make money and like the demand for top level hockey competition isn't what actually drives their business and in the end the salaries of the players.

Do these 30 clowns and their henchmen really think that if they died tomorrow there would be no hockey in North America? Some of them probably do given that their ego about their role in hockey has been passed down from previous generations of egomaniacs.
Perfect example is the Wirtz family. Dolla Bill takes the "the players should gratefully accept whatever I want to pay them" approach and the franchise falls apart. NO ONE went to Hawks games and the they were the absolute worst team in the league. The owner dies, his son takes over and understands the very novel concept of spending money and showing the home games on TV and the franchise becomes hugely successful.

We still have a few too many Dolla Bill Wirtzs running things. It's gotten to the point where I would welcome a European league that could compete with the NHL for the top talent. The sport has been completely marginalized. I seriously don't care if we lose an entire season.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote