View Single Post
Old
09-28-2012, 02:55 PM
Harnessed in Slums

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
Just for argument's sake and to reply to all the people saying if Filppula was our #1 center our team would be terrible.

Zetterberg played the most minutes and highest toi/g last year and played center.

In 82 games

Zetterberg- 22 goals 47 assists - 69 points
Filppula- 23 goals 43 assists- 66 points

Now... I understand this is Filppula's first season producing at a rate similar to Zetterberg, but it is also his first season getting an expanded role and minutes. It is possible that from here on out, with Zetterberg getting older and older, that Filppula could produce at a similar ppg as Zetterberg. It is also possible this year was a fluke and Filppula's numbers drop.

But if Filppula could produce 65-70 points a year why couldn't he be a #1 center? His point total last year had him between Brad Richards and Logan Couture among centers. Pretty good players. And not far behind Eric Staal.
Yeah, I am taking a small leap of faith but Filppula has continued to improved his game over time. He was once simply an excellent defensive forward and now he's also producing offense at a high level. So I stand by my claim that I think he's got a real shot at surpassing Z during the next NHL season. Sorry if that hurts some people's feelings however this is what message boards are for: making reasonable suggestions as far as one player improving and another players losing a step or two. It's not outlandish to say Fil could surpass Z next season.

Thanks for taking the time to assemble last year's stats, I am at work and don't have much time to mess around putting that data together right now.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote