09-28-2012, 04:45 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
???

Why would he have a neck injury?

The hit talked about is at the 5:35 mark. I don't know how many times I've seen players in the NHL crawl to the bench after hits like that...
5:35, I see a guy get let it up, lays almost motionless on the ice and taken out on a stretcher, don't see him crawling anywhere. Standard procedure (at least in the US) is with any head and/or neck injury, your neck and head is immobilized. This is because if you have a neck injury, and you move your head and neck around, you could have an unstable fracture that could move around, causing paralysis.

When he is on the stretcher, he is moving his head and neck around. It's crazyness. Obviously it's just a precaustion, but the fact that the medical staff doesn't have his head and neck immobilized is kind of scary.

That's alI meant.

EDIT: Also, when you see someone get lit up like that and lay motionless on the ice, you are taught to assume the worst, which would be a neck injury. Does he have a neck injury? Probably not, but you treat it as such, just to be on the safe side.