View Single Post
Old
09-29-2012, 02:13 AM
biturbo19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
Haha no, you probably won't ever get to a high level. That doesn't mean you can't become a very strong skater, especially for a beer league. When I started, a guy around your age was just starting too. 3 years later he's now a quite decent skater, while I, almost 20 years younger than him, haven't progressed as far. He's just more determined, and practices more. You can get there.

Still, you'll probably see 8 year olds skating around with more ability than you or I have, and it can be disheartening (in a funny sort of way).
I think this kinda touches on it.

It really depends on your definition of 'high level' i guess.

But at the end of the day, all of the really strong skaters i know, have been doing it since they were knee high to a grasshopper or whatever. Not trying to sound overly pretentious, but i think skating is a lot like learning a language. Kids who pick up other languages at a very young age tend to end up much more fluent in them. It all comes much more naturally to them.

Again, that's not to say that you can't pick up a language at 20, 30, 40, 50, whatever. But as much as you might devote yourself to the technical aspects of the project, it's probably never going to as natural as learning it as a youngin. There's something about learning things at that young age that just ingrains itself in a person, and it's just going to be easier for them from there on. Just like a person who learns Spanish at age 40 is probably going to have an easily identifiable accent that lingers...someone who starts skating at 40 is going to have the skating equivalent of an accent. It might be grammatically correct, but it's not going to be as fluid and natural as a native speaker/skater.

I don't mean that at all as a discouraging thing, and it's great seeing newcomers make the effort and really try to be the best they can be. It's just a realistic comment.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with not being a 'high level' skater...simply striving for that and doing everything you can to better yourself as a skater is admirable to the utmost degree.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote