View Single Post
Old
09-29-2012, 02:48 AM
Robb_K

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
With the lock-out there is no revenue coming in. I've heard that JD's contract was worth $6 million. (I don't know if that is total or per year.) Many teams are laying off employees, or reducing them to four days a week and 20% less pay.

JD brought instant credibility to the franchise at a time when it needed some. He successfully sold a 5 year rebuild to a fanbase that wasn't used to long term planning. He was the face of the franchise in media for a few seasons. But as the team has improved, there has been less and less need for JD. While he is a quality hockey mind, I'm not sure how in line with the rest of the front office his salary was.

I'm grateful, and wish him the best.
I've read that it was $2 Million per year for 3 years. The talk is that with Doug Armstrong doing a great job as GM, and more of the public interface work being handled by Stillman and Armstrong than before, and The Blues now very good on the ice, JD's functions are mostly duplicated. The Blues can better use that $2 per year, elsewhere. In addition, I think Stillman wants more control than he had when Checketts was top guy, so sharing some of that with Davidson limits that goal.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote