View Single Post
Old
09-29-2012, 06:38 AM
HLLYWD99

vCash: 500
Interesting article by the Sun Times Walker written prior to last nights game where the Cat was sent to the dressing room after taking a penalty late in the third with the Attack nursing another 1 goal lead.

Ireland lays down the law on penalties

Daniel Catenacci isn’t the kind of player that you’d imagine would lead the Ontario Hockey League in penalty minutes.
At five-foot-10, 191 pounds, the Newmarket native is known more for his blazing speed than his punching prowess.
Yet there he is, just four games into the season, sitting atop the sin bin parade with seven minor penalties and 19 minutes in total.
“It’s something I don’t want and we’re not benefiting with anyone on our team in the box,” Catenacci said Friday prior to Owen Sound’s 3-2 win in Guelph.
“It’s something I’m definitely watching closely and it’s not a place I want to be after (four) games. It’s the biggest thing we didn’t want this year.”

Catenacci isn’t alone in the penalty parade; teammate Zach Nastasiuk is second with five minor penalties and seventh with 10 minutes in the box.
Overall, Owen Sound is second in the OHL with 81 minutes in penalties. And it’s proven costly for the Attack, who had not allowed an even-strength goal in the first three games.
Six of Owen Sound’s nine goals against this season have come on the power play. That’s a league high. Barrie also scored with their goalie pulled for the extra attacker and in a shootout.
“I think we just have to be more disciplined this year,” said Catenacci said.
“A lot of our penalties are because of laziness. We have to play in your face like we always do, but we obviously have to eliminate the penalties. It doesn’t benefit any team to take a lot of penalties.”
Coach Greg Ireland held a long meeting with his players on Friday to address the penalty issue. Eliminating trips to the box was a priority for Ireland this season and after four games, his players haven’t met his expectations.
“If you’re leading the league because you’re a physical, hard team and you’re knocking guys on their rear end, that’s one thing,” Ireland said. “We’re not doing that. They’re of the lazy variety. We’re not going to let that happen.
“We’re going to tackle this here and now and we’re going to bring it to the head.”
Ireland began sending the message on Thursday in a loss at Barrie, keeping players off the ice due to indifferent play or too many penalties.

“I might even adapt the Pat Burns style,” said Ireland. “Watch the first three shifts and if you’re going and going right, you’re going to play. The reward is the ice time.”
Nastasiuk, Keevin Cutting, and Cameron Brace with his third game-winner of the season, scored for the Attack (3-0-0-1, first in the Midwest) who still took too many penalties for the coach’s liking Friday. Guelph had seven power plays.
“We’re going to play a hard game and we’re going to take penalties through our tenacity but we want to minimize (the minors),” Ireland said.
“At the end of the day the penalty kill will bail you out when you deserve it. I thought the guys were scrappy and they stuck together and there was more desperation in their game (on Friday).”
Patrick Watling and Zach Leslie replied for the Storm (1-2-0-0, fifth in the Midwest).
“I thought we did some good things in the first but still we’re not going to go anywhere if we don’t get our guys playing the right way,” said Guelph coach Scott Walker.
“We’ll play those guys a lot who want to play. We’re playing like we can beat everyone instead of playing hard.
“For the last 10 (minutes of the third period), we played like ‘Oh my goodness, we’re going to lose. We better get going here’.”
Owen Sound goalie Jordan Binnington made 29 saves while Guelph’s Garret Sparks stopped 29 shots.