View Single Post
09-29-2012, 10:48 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
I think this kinda touches on it.

It really depends on your definition of 'high level' i guess.

But at the end of the day, all of the really strong skaters i know, have been doing it since they were knee high to a grasshopper or whatever. Not trying to sound overly pretentious, but i think skating is a lot like learning a language. Kids who pick up other languages at a very young age tend to end up much more fluent in them. It all comes much more naturally to them.

Again, that's not to say that you can't pick up a language at 20, 30, 40, 50, whatever. But as much as you might devote yourself to the technical aspects of the project, it's probably never going to as natural as learning it as a youngin. There's something about learning things at that young age that just ingrains itself in a person, and it's just going to be easier for them from there on. Just like a person who learns Spanish at age 40 is probably going to have an easily identifiable accent that lingers...someone who starts skating at 40 is going to have the skating equivalent of an accent. It might be grammatically correct, but it's not going to be as fluid and natural as a native speaker/skater.

I don't mean that at all as a discouraging thing, and it's great seeing newcomers make the effort and really try to be the best they can be. It's just a realistic comment.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with not being a 'high level' skater...simply striving for that and doing everything you can to better yourself as a skater is admirable to the utmost degree.
Great answer and I think you are spot on with the analogy, thats what my friend was trying to say I think. Well put

I will be very pleased when I end up as a decent skater

denace is offline   Reply With Quote