View Single Post
09-29-2012, 03:10 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by LateNightOilerFan View Post
What's not true? Definitely some misunderstanding about my post then. To clarify, the skate shop at my local rink has 3 staff - it is a skate sharpening shop, everyone just shortens it to call it "the skate shop". That is why I differentiated it from a retail store - where usually staff turn over quickly and it's a different person sharpening your skates every time.

What I am referring to is a small "hole in the wall" shop where they pretty much exclusively sharpen skates. The 2 men who sharpen the skates have been doing so for the 12 years I've been going there, and they were there long before I even started going in so I think they're pretty experienced. The 3rd staff member will turn over every couple of years and is usually a high school/university student who just tags the skates as they come in and runs the cash so the other 2 can focus on sharpening skates.

Hence why I said I'd rather go in there instead of the regular retail stores - in fact usually when I've gone to the big stores I'm taking the skates to "the skate shop" within a couple of weeks to get it done right.
Your rink is an exemption then. Most rinks have a small pro shop where you get 2-4 staff members normally working alone or sometimes with 2 at busy times and it's typically high school kids or college/university kids using it as a part time job. It's identical to a sport chek or pro hockey life. I mentioned to stay away from Canadian Tire because they usually don't have a "skate sharpener" but rather a guy that knows how but doesn't do it all that often.

The turn over rate is high because you don't get paid enough to make a living out of working out of a pro shop (or skate shop as you put it) unless you have some kind of interest in the shop (ie. an owner)

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote