Thread: Confirmed Signing with Link: Evander Kane to Dinamo Minsk
View Single Post
Old
09-29-2012, 03:38 PM
smitty10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaco View Post
I know it has nothing to do with hockey, but anyway: If "African American" means "American (in terms of continent) of African descent", why aren't they? Are they just very suntanned norwegians?
We don't use African-American in Canada. They're 'Canadian' or if you need to bring race into the discussion they are 'black Canadian'. Most black Canadian's have no idea of any African-heritage and better identify with Carribean countries or just with Canada anyways.

I hate the use of African-American because it encourages seperation on a racial basis when it's not necessary. We don't call white North American's 'European-Canadian' or 'European-American' because most people don't identify as European. It's the same thing with black-American's. You can properly call them 'American's of African ancestry', but using African-American (unless the person was born in Africa and emigrated to the USA) is incorrect. I know some white people who were born and raised in Africa with their entire families still there who now live in the USA; do they qualify as African-American as well?

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote