Old
09-29-2012, 08:53 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Even if the British league is a lower level of competition, I think it's a good idea for Stewart to be there. He would be completely lost in the Eastern European game. And I'm not sure it would really serve his interests to spend time in a foreign culture, not speaking the language, getting middle-line ice time as a temporary visitor, and probably on a middling team that isn't already stocked with higher end players. He can work on his conditioning and skills anywhere -- I'd rather see him performing as an important player in important games, gaining his confidence and hopefully receiving some real coaching and leadership experience.
I honestly think doing just that in the DEL during the lockout was a HUGE factor in Cole taking the next step developmentally between the 2003-04 and 2005-06 seasons. The game opening up to embrace his skillset helped as well, but I really think that confidence that Cole established in playing a top role in Germany was the big difference in him staying a 40-45 point power forward and becoming that point-per-game one he was right out of the lockout, settling into that 50-60 point guy slot long term.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote