View Single Post
Old
09-30-2012, 09:45 AM
HLLYWD99

vCash: 500
IRELAND IS PIZZED
OWEN SOUND - http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/201...sion-to-sarnia
One thing is certain after the Owen Sound Attack's 2-1 loss to Sarnia on Saturday.
The Ontario Hockey League team's next practice is going to be a doozy.
Any time your coaches uses the word "disgusting" to describe how his team plays, it's not going to be good.
"Over three games (on the weekend) we played maybe three periods," Attack coach Greg Ireland said on Saturday.
"We were lazy, selfish, not engaged. We don't look out for one another. We don't stick up for one another. For me what I saw (on Saturday) was disgusting. And disgusting for what I saw in periods in Guelph and Barrie."
What Ireland didn't see is the work ethic that he feels his team needs to be successful. That's why his players can expect what's commonly called a bag skate on Monday (as in the players will skate their ... well you get the picture).

"This is not good enough," said Ireland.
"Right now we're not working. We're not going to stand for it. We're not going to come to work and have people around us who aren't going to work and not give us an honest effort. That's going to change. If I can't get 60 minutes of work in a game, I'll get it in practice."
Ireland feels his squad is letting it's natural talent get in the way of it's work ethic. In short, his players think they're better than they really are.
"When you have Gretzky, Lemieux, Kurri, Messier, Crosby, Malkin in our lineup, it should work," said Ireland, rather sarcastically.
"We've got them here. Everyone is wondering where they are for the NHL lock out. They're right here in Owen Sound."
Two players Ireland did have praise were Brandon Hope and Nathan Chiarlitti, both of whom played for the Sting last season.
"I thought (Hope) battled his rear end off and I'm disappointed because ... he was left out to dry with no support and that really got to me, it really bothered me," said Ireland.
"Nathan had to battle. He was always on his heals. I thought he was a warrior. We didn't get that out of anyone. Our forwards were a softer group than I've seen."
Hope made 40 saves and was named the game's second star.
"I was looking forward to this for a long time ... it was a decent performance but it's disappointing for us not to get the win," said Hope who admitted to being a little antsy to start the game.
"I started off a little bit slow, fighting pucks. After that I settled into my game and did the things I had to do. It just sucks that we came out on the bottom end."
Keevin Cutting scored for the Attack (3-1-0-1, first in the Midwest).
"They came into our building hungry and desperate," said Ireland. "This is a building where we should be better in."
Charlie Sarault and Connor Murphy scored for the Sting (1-2-0-1, fourth in the West).
"The kids have played well and they haven't had any points to show it but (Saturday) was a real good effort by our team," said Sarnia coach/general manager Jacques Beaulieu who had nothing but praise for overage goalie JP Anderson who made 28 saves en route to being named the game's first star.
"He's been outstanding the entire pre-season and season so far. He's given us a chance to win."
These two teams meet again on Friday in Sarnia.
The Attack hosts the Guelph Storm on Saturday.
Game time at the Harry Lumley-Bayshore Community Centre is 7:30 p.m.

bill.walker@sunmedia.ca

Last edited by HLLYWD99: 09-30-2012 at 09:51 AM.