View Single Post
Old
05-09-2006, 06:30 AM
MMX

vCash: 500
Hi guys,

Here is brief update for those of you who didn't watch Belarus-Russia game.

Andrei Kostitsyn finally played for Belarus at this tournament. Hу obviously wasn't in top condition but still played good game. AK seems to bulked up from the last time I saw him (a year ago). He is strong on his skates and covers the puck well, which was evident when he carried the puck from his own zone all the way into Russian zone all by himself several times. He crushed one Russian player into the boards in first period with a good check. He also tried to deliver open-ice hit to Ovechkin but seemed to changed his mind before the collision and didn't make concentrated effort. As a result, he bounced off Ovechkin (now this guy is really strong on his skates!).

Kostitsyn also manned the point on the powerplay and did it surprisngly well. He delivered cross-ice pass to Oleg Antonenko who one-timed it for the first Belarusian goal.

Kostitsyn had gorgeous chance in the 3rd period with the score tied at 2, unfortunately his one-timer from point-blank was well saved by Russian goalie. Could have been a game-winner

Overall, Andrei played better then I expected him to play. Hopefully with another day of practice and rest (and acclimatization) he'll have huge game against Kazakhstan.

Michail Grabovsky was his usual self. You can basicaly copy-paste from my report on the game against Slovakia: fast, battling, creative. Again played on the wing. Drew penalty at the end of the first period that resulted in PP goal for Belarus. Created great chance for himself in the 3rd when he cleanly beat Russian defender in front of the goal and fired wicked shot that goalie barely saved (I honestly thought that was in at first). Again potential game-winner here

Good game for both guys and Belarus, they almost pulled another upset.

MMX is offline   Reply With Quote