Thread: Proposal: Toronto - Montreal
View Single Post
Old
09-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
What people define as soft teams is different for every person.

In terms of fighting, yes, the leafs will probably be soft next season. I doubt we dress a fighter on a consistent basis. We do have a fighter or two we can dress though.

In regards to hitting, the leafs defensive corps will still be one of the higher hitting groups next season. We lose Schenn and that ice time will likely be going to Komi/Holzer both of who hit as well, not a whole lot loss back there in my opinion. Forward wise we have some hitters, just lacking it in our top 6. Our bottom 6 although not throwing big hits, will not shy away from playing the body. Without adding up the hits from each respective team and taking into account some players lost/gained during the offseason (Prust, Armstrong, McClement, JVR) it looks to be about even in overall hitting, Montreal having more coming from their top 6.

That said, soft could also refer to board work and ability to stay strong on the puck. Can't say I know exactly who is good at this on Montreal but JVR and Lupul are good at this on Toronto.

Then there is also just plain looking at players size. But that always doesn't tell the whole story. Every team has some players who play bigger than they are. And since this is completely subjective I won't bother trying to compare teams since nobody will agree.

Leafs just like every team has their weaknesses when it comes to playing soft. The leafs major one this year will probably be not dressing a fighter every night for those games that you don't think will get out of hand but end up getting rough. As that other poster said, we have Phaneuf and Komi who are willing to drop the gloves but are not that great of fighters. I don't think we should be trading for a player with this quality though, we have some prospects coming up who are more than willing to fight. Hell, even Rielly got in a fight the other night. Any problems the leafs have at being soft will be solved soon enough.