View Single Post
Old
09-30-2012, 09:45 PM
JackSlater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfang View Post
The most hardcore Leafs fan I've ever met told me that the 2010 Olympics was the most exciting and well played hockey he had seen in a decade and was actually depressed when the NHL season re-started.
Well... he was a Toronto fan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfang View Post
I'm sure that an extended calendar is not the answer. However, do Canadians really not want special test-matches (at least 2-3 a year) vs. the best of the best? It seems hilariously ironic considering that the most iconic moments in the history of Canadian sports (1972, 1987, 2002, 2010) all had to do with the Team Canada playing.
I would very much enjoy seeing a full strength team Canada play a few games every year, but the window of opportunity is extremely small for all nations to field their strongest teams for a few games each year. Realistically we're talking about the weeks of summer following the Stanley Cup and before the training camps in Europe, and even then a lot of players are going to be banged up and will still miss out.

The idea of Team Canada (and team USA) is pretty interesting. I find that most European fans view international hockey teams similarly to national teams in soccer, where the teams are constant and players get dropped or added to the teams over time. For team Canada in hockey, I only view it as an entity that comes into existence once every four years. I don't consider anything outside of the Olympics or World Cup to be the national team. Having regular best on best games might go far toward rectifying that.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote