View Single Post
Old
10-01-2012, 03:17 AM
Mr Writer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Well... he was a Toronto fan...

I would very much enjoy seeing a full strength team Canada play a few games every year, but the window of opportunity is extremely small for all nations to field their strongest teams for a few games each year. Realistically we're talking about the weeks of summer following the Stanley Cup and before the training camps in Europe, and even then a lot of players are going to be banged up and will still miss out.

The idea of Team Canada (and team USA) is pretty interesting. I find that most European fans view international hockey teams similarly to national teams in soccer, where the teams are constant and players get dropped or added to the teams over time. For team Canada in hockey, I only view it as an entity that comes into existence once every four years. I don't consider anything outside of the Olympics or World Cup to be the national team. Having regular best on best games might go far toward rectifying that.
I would prefer to see the World Cup come back, but failing that, a N.A. Cup tournament every 2 years in between Olympics...is not such a bad idea. Canada and the U.S. could go at it over 3 games or 5 games..whatever format they choose. Hell, the NHL can organize it and any profit could go directly to the league...and if the U.S can pull a victory, maybe it even further grows the game in non-traditional U.S. markets.

but I'm not interested in seeing the setup of European leagues where there are 4 breaks per year in league play to accommodate international tournaments i.e. Eurotour. I have no interest in seeing that in North America.

Mr Writer is online now   Reply With Quote