Old
10-01-2012, 11:46 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
Did you watch him in Tampa?

He'll be a fantastic bottom pairing guy if he does adjust. He would have been a Top 4 at the very least if he had not left due to very personal and understandable reasons.

He's not permitted to join the Leafs with just an AHL contract, he'll have to take positive strides and earn a two-way next offseason, or potentially be signed to a new two-way deal if he impresses during the season. I am saying this because I am of the understanding that his contract is specifically an AHL contract. I could be wrong, but I believe that is the case.

The Leafs have them right in their back yard, and will keep close tabs on his play.

Could be a very good "free wallet" for them.
Ranger is on an AHL contract, so as you suggest he will need an NHL contract to play in the NHL again.

However it should be noted for clarity sake (realizing you likely know this), that he isn't technically Leafs property nor do they have exclusive rights to him, because he is on a PTO (professional tryout contract) with the Marlies.

Any team at any time could offer him a NHL contract to make him their exclusive property thereafter. Ranger could end his PTO and is free to sign, almost like he is a UFA at present. His current contract only a means to legally be allowed to play in the AHL at this time.