View Single Post
Old
10-01-2012, 01:48 PM
cutchemist42

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snovalleyhockeyfan View Post
To directly answer your question, though, the answer is I doubt it. First off, unless other Pac-12 schools decided they wanted to do something, they would have to seek membership in the WCHA, and then they'd have to add a companion women's program to comply with Title IX. I'm not too sure Woodward and Co. (UW AD Scott Woodward and his associate AD's) would be interested in adding another pair of "non-revenue" sports (which these would be at the UW unlike at places such as North Dakota or Minnesota for example) that would have to feed off of football and men's basketball in order to survive, especially with them having to pay off the Husky Stadium bill still.

It's a good question, though, that you asked, cutchemist42, and thanks for asking.
Thanks for the good answer, I always overlook the equal men and women's aspect. I just figured another tenant wouldn't be bad.

As a slight aside (might be more appropriate as a seperate post), I've kind of wondered why dont' more NHL cities team up with the local universities to support university/grassroots hockey. Many successful NHL markets seem to have decent Div1 college hockey in the area. I understand why Seattle would not work, but with B1G supporting hockey, there should be a Div1 program in Chicago.