View Single Post
Old
10-01-2012, 02:45 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
Not this again. Have we learned nothing about sacking our defensive depth?

First off, St-Denis belongs in Hamilton. If we need to call him up, fine, but don't pencil him in as a # 7 or even a # 8. If he plays significant games in Montreal again this year, the team is in massive amounts of trouble.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having 8 defensemen on the roster. Nothing at all. Room for everyone. It means two guys have to get scratched each night on the rare occasion that everyone is healthy. Big deal. Weber, Diaz and Bouillon can take turns in the pressbox, and I wouldn't be shocked if Emelin earns a few nights off with sophomore mistakes.

Diaz and Weber are the same size and weight and had nearly identical stats last year. Diaz is 26, Weber is 24. Why everyone is willing to just write off the 24 year old and trade him for scraps is mind boggling to me. No one knows who will end up better or have the better career. Keep them both.

And Weber brings something that Diaz doesn't have (yet). A shot. Only 15 defensemen in the entire league scored more PP goals than Weber last year. That means 20 teams in the league who didn't have anyone on their roster who could score more from the blueline than Weber.

You don't give up on that. Keep him. Why is it such a strange concept to think that a 24 year old with only 109 games of NHL experience might actually get better?
funny thing is (and I dont think Weber is a top 4 D) most saying we should get rid of him, praising career AHLers like St Denis or 26 years old rookie Diaz, wants to see the Habd rebuild...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote