Old
10-01-2012, 06:25 PM
romelson

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to romelson
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
I took the time to look up last year.
- 18 guys(included both Åberg and Boyce in that calculation) on the November squad made the WJC last year.
- Sundström was also on the November squad initially but got injured so he couldn't play there.
- Brodin was called to play with Tre Kronor in Karjala Cup instead.
- Out of those on the November squad, Johan Alm as the 8th D was cut to make room for a third goaltender(Johan Mattsson), Gunnarsson was cut for Brodin. On forward, Lillieström-Karlsson, Mannberg, Nermark and Pa. Vesterholm were cut to make room for Sundström, Rakell, Rask and Rensfeldt.

Considering a third goaltender had to be added, Brodin was with Tre Kronor, Sundström was injured, and Rakell, Rask and Rensfeldt were in North America(all five likely to make the team) it was pretty much as close to the WJC squad as it possibly could've gotten.
Thanks for checking that. So, about 80-85% of the november squad made it last year then. Btw, among the guys that were cut after november, many were selected as non non-travelling reserves for WJC last year. I recall Alm & Gunnarsson were. It seems like, by november, the management usually has narrowed it down to say 26-27 names, roughly, that are still in the run. If your name aint there, you better either be a lock playing in NA, be assigned to the national A-team or have some kind of not-that-overly serious scratch.
Or you are out.

I know there's usually great variety in the speculations just before they release the final WJC squad. But given the relationship between the november squad and the final squad, all speculations about fringe players that are not in the november squad, seem rather useless. When it comes to fringe players, they must be in by november, or they are out. More or less. Injuries or monster performances in late november are then what is left "to hope for", for those who are cut in november.

romelson is offline   Reply With Quote