View Single Post
Old
10-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Giacomin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflepadsave View Post
Never had the priviledge of being in MSG and would love to some day. But something more relevant that would be appropriate no matter who the rangers were playing.
" Bettman Sucks" just seems to be trending with fans,players and probably a few owners!
As someone who has regularly gone to Rangers games since 1973 The Potvin Sucks chant is 100X more relavant than Bettman Sucks. At the time of the "Potvin-Nilsson Incident" the Rangers were working on a 39 year Cup drought and the hated Isles were coming on fast but in 1979 if the Rangers were healthy they had a great chance to win the Cup. Nilsson broke his ankle with a cheap shot by that ******* Potvin and the Rangers lost in the finals to a fading Dynasty in Montreal who was ready to be beaten. The Islanders got stronger in 1980 and when on a great run winning 4 Cups while the Rangers were haunted by the Islanders.
I don,t know what Bettman has done to the Rangers on any scale comparable to the pain that Potvin and the Islander Dynasty did to the Rangers back then.
A lot of the fans on this board didn,t experience it but the Islander/Ranger rivalry of 1975-1994 was so much more intense than any the Rangers will ever experience again. I laugh when I hear people mention the Rangers/ Devils rivalry compared to the Islanders/Rangers of 1975-1994.
The Potvin Sucks chant should last forever as it is a chant that symbolizes the agony of 54 years by the most loyal fans in Hockey!

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote