View Single Post
Old
10-02-2012, 12:11 AM
Lobotomizer*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I guess I should explain the reasons for my extreme pessimism. As Hoogaar23 pointed out, this is a battle of egos between two meglomaniacs. Neither of them will want to give an inch because of how it might affect their legacies. Then we add in the fact that neither of those two guys are hockey fans, so missing games/seasons isn't a huge deal for them. And finally, neither of them are likely to be replaced any time soon. That spells disaster to me.

I really hope I am wrong, but right now, I'd be surprised if we saw NHL hockey this season.
So you believe that Bettman's ego is greater than the opinions of the 30 owners who happen to be his employers? You believe that the 30 individuals who have accumulated the necessary wealth via sound business abilities will just sit back as wallflowers and watch Bettman use his "ego" to dictate the outcome of the lockout?

Or perhaps Bettman is actually doing his job as representative of the owners and speaking the collective minds of the 30 ownership groups...

I have a hard time believing that 30 multi-millionaires/billionaires stand by passively as Bettman plays a game of chicken with their personal investments. That doesn't seem to be the model taken by any of the owners when they were accruing the necessary wealth to become NHL owners...

But perhaps you are correct and Bettman has 30 comprimising photos that ensure the ownership group allows him to manipulate the negotiations negatively because he is "not a fan of hockey".