View Single Post
Old
12-06-2003, 09:29 AM
Guy!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
As always, I was interested to catch Guy's comments as they are well thought out.
Thank you!

Quote:
I have some questions, or observations. Is Q pretty well done ?
I actually think he'd be perfectly suited to one of those teams with young defence corps who need a leader that will guide them along the path to being steady NHL defenders. On a team like Montreal he ends up just taking up more space that he needs to, unfortunately, but I'm not sure that he's done so much as just in the wrong place. He's a useful talent, and he's a good guy and good leader. He just needs to be on a team where his qualities are better appreciated.

Quote:
Could pretty well anyone fill Dackell's role ?
I honestly have a soft spot for Dax because we got him for an eigth round draft pick back when the trading market was still pretty good. My close friends and I would sit and laugh and laugh at this trade equating it to the Courtnall for Kordic deal of years ago. I know Dax will never be a star in this league, but I believe he serves a purpose. And while it may be his last year here in Montreal, I still think he's learned the system well enough, knows his teammates well enough, and brings such a consistent game, that he'll be useful for the rest of the year.

No, I don't think just anyone could take over what he does, but I don't hold any illusions that a hard-working kid couldn't do the same thing. I'd be extremely hesitant to replace him with a Ward or a Dagenais or someone like that, but a solid skater like a Pleks might be useful starting his NHL career on Juneau's wing, that they might learn like Bulis did.

Quote:
Is Bullis becoming an excellent player who is doing everything but putting up numbers ?
Does anyone else but me think that in a couple of years his name will start being mentioned with Lehtinen's and Peca's when they talk about stellar defensive forwards and awards at the end of the year?

Quote:
Can anyone explain how Kilger loses his focus from shift to shift ?
I'm fed up with him and see his days in Montreal as numbered. He just doesn't have the drive to be anything other than a fourth liner in this league - and on some nights even that's a stretch.

Quote:
Why is confidence such a fragile thing on this team ? Look at the difference in the play of Brisebois,Rivet and Markov from game to game. The highs to the lows are a much bigger swing than you would expect from experienced pros.
The million dollar question! If they could figure that out, I think the Habs would be solidly in a playoff position. I'm guessing that, in large part, it has to do with the players here - many retreads, guys who've never been overly successful, guys who keep moving around for a reason. It's mostly the rookies and the vets who've played in successful places (Sax - Finland, etc). Most of the old guard who played in Montreal had such lousy coaching and management that they became lax and never developed a strong work ethic or motivation to win.

All I can hope is that, when the kids finally get here, they're put in a situation where they learn, where they're shown what it takes to win (even if they don't at first), and where they're made to work hard constantly. If those things happen, and I have no reason, with Gainey at the helm, to believe that they won't, then we'll have a much different team on the ice than we see today in terms of effort and attitude.

Just some thoughts.

ACF