View Single Post
Old
10-02-2012, 11:37 AM
kdb209
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
There is a D2 for hockey, but it is only one conference of about 10 teams.

Teams who are normally lower in other sports are permitted to play d1 hockey. RPI is not D1 in any other sport as far as I know, neither is Union.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Alabama-Hunstville Chargers play Div 1 for hockey and Division 2 for all other sports. SHU could say there is already precedent for such a move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snovalleyhockeyfan View Post
Two other good examples of this, since we are talking about Simon Fraser, are both the U. of Alaska (Fairbanks) and the U. of Alaska-Anchorage. UAF and UAA are D-II schools in other sports, and they are league rivals of Simon Fraser, as all three are members of the Great Northwest Athletic Conference. Both Alaska schools, though, are D-I hockey schools.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTN View Post
I know there's US schools who do it, I just think the NCAA would try and resist (at least initially) having a Canadian school in Div 1, since quite a few US schools draw players draw from the BCHL. Though, I'm not sure if the NCAA can legally keep them out if they wanted to have a varsity team in Div 1.

Does anyone know if Div 1 requires schools to have an on-campus ice rink? SFU doesn't have one and probably won't any time soon.
The NCAA no longer allows Division 3 schools to play up at Division 1 (*). Division 2 school can, but only in sports (like hockey) which do not have Division 2 championships - but are still subject to D2 scholarship limits. Division 2 schools are required to field teams in at least 10 sports with gender equity requirements.

In 2004, the NCAA passed Proposal 65, prohibiting schools from from playing D1 in one sport while remaining D3 in others. Existing schools (RPI, Clarkson, Colorado College, St. Lawrence, etc) were grandfathered in.

In 2011, SFU became the first non-US team to join the NCAA (Division 2).

(*) Well they can, but are prohibitted from offering scholarships.

From the Canadian colleges/universities to join NCAA? thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loto68 View Post
They don't have to play those other sports at a D-1 level though. Alabama-Huntsville only player D-1 Hockey, their other sports are d-2.
Alabama-Huntsville is an exception grandfathered in by the NCAA, along with a bunch of other D-1 hockey schools (Colorado College, Clarkson, St Lawrence). They were allowed to continue their one D-1 sport and participate in a lower division in other sports. Going forward, all other schools cannot go D-1 in one sport without going D-1 in all (or give up their D-1 scholarships).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_I

Quote:
A controversy recently arose in the NCAA over whether schools will continue to be allowed to have one showcased program in Division I with the remainder of the athletic program in a lower division, as is the case of, notably, Johns Hopkins University in lacrosse as well as Colorado College and University of Alabama in Huntsville in ice hockey. This is an especially important issue in hockey, which has no Division II competition and has several schools whose other athletic programs compete in Division II and Division III.

This controversy was resolved at the 2004 NCAA Convention in Nashville, Tennessee when the members supported Proposal 65-1, the amended legislation co-sponsored by Colorado College, Clarkson University, Hartwick College, Johns Hopkins University, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Rutgers University-Newark, St. Lawrence University, and SUNY Oneonta. Each school affected by this debate is allowed to grant financial aid to student-athletes who compete in Division I programs in one men's sport and one women's sport. It is still permitted for other schools to place one men's and one women's sport in Division I going forward, but they cannot offer scholarships without bringing the whole program into compliance with Division I rules.
Unless the NCAA is willing to extend the same grandfather clause to prospective Canadian universities, it is very unlikely that they would be able to ice D-1 teams.

http://www.rpi.edu/web/Campus.News/f...caaupdate.html

Quote:
Rensselaer Wins NCAA Vote; Elevates Women’s Ice Hockey to Division I

The National Collegiate Athletic Association Division III membership has voted overwhelmingly to allow Rensselaer and seven other institutions to continue to offer grants-in-aid to Division I student-athletes.

Rensselaer, along with Clarkson, Colorado College, Hartwick, Johns Hopkins, SUNY at Oneonta, Rutgers University-Newark, and St. Lawrence, have been battling a proposal that would have eliminated the ability of Division III schools to provide athletic grants-in-aid to students participating at the Division I level. Delegates from Division III schools voted to approve an amendment (65-1) that effectively eliminated the controversial language from the overall Division III reform package.
http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/gove...4-conv-leg.htm

Quote:
What actual changes were made with the adoption of Proposal No. 65 as amended by Proposal No. 65-1?

The eight institutions that offered athletically related financial aid in 2002-03 for their Division I sports may continue that practice, but all other Division III institutions are precluded from doing so. This represents a change from past legislation that permitted any institution sponsoring a Division I sport in 1982-83 to offer athletically related financial aid in their Division I sports.

Last edited by kdb209: 10-02-2012 at 11:55 AM.