View Single Post
Old
10-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by letmesleep View Post
It was my understanding that the Blues hold Lehtera's rights indefinitely but that after this coming season he would be free to skip the ELC. I don't remember where I read that so I can't offer up any proof but I'm pretty sure that I read it this off-season.

I also recall reading that Armstrong had been in contact with Lehtera and they concluded that this wasn't the best season for him to come over, which sort of implied that there would be a better opportunity in the future. I think that we MIGHT see Lehtera give the NHL a try in the 2013-2014 season when the Blues are allowed to make a non-ELC contract offer that is competitive with what he would make in the KHL, depending on whatever roster moves are made this season.
That isnt true, the Blues signed him to an ELC a few years back. We wouldnt have held his rights indefinitely, as it only applies to Russians. Finns must be signed after two seasons, I think. We still hold his rights because we qualified him.

http://blues.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=530637

But I do believe that Armstrong said that he was in contact with Lehtera this offseason. It really would have made no sense for him to come over this season. I wouldnt close the book just yet, but he is a well payed player in Russia (a country with much lower top tax rate and lower cost of living) and it really makes little sense for him to play in the AHL. Id like to see him come to camp next year and if he doesnt make the team, we let him go back to the KHL.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote