Old
10-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Winger98
powers combined

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
Lets look at some of the young stars/guys who would seriously help the Wings, shall we?

Mike Richards, LA Kings - 24th overall
Claude Giroux, PHI Flyers - 22nd overall
Jonathon Quick, LA Kings - 72nd overall
Adam Henrique, NJ Devils - 82nd overall
Travis Zajac, NJ Devils - 20th overall

Since hockey has been so off my radar lately, I am having a real hard time remembering all the young guns I really like watching. Its the nature of my memory, or lack thereof. So I went to ESPN and searched each team and was overwhelmed by how many very late 1st round picks and beyond are making huge impacts.

Wings dont have that. Is it philosophy (smallish Euro players)? Is it luck? Cant answer those questions, but I can say the Wings are being seriously outfoxed in the draft these days.

Wings dont need to tank, they need to draft better, more impactful players like the rest of the league seems to. Not once every 4 years, either. Every year a team should draft an NHL player that takes no more than 3 years to make the big club.
I'm not sure it's a philosophy so much in who they draft as to how they set up their organization. Smith and Gus could have broke camp with the Wings last year. Helm, Ericsson, and Kindl could have made the Wings a year earlier than they did. Tatar should have had a legit shot at making the club this year without fighting his way through 16 vets to do it. Unless someone puts on a freak show in camp, the chance of pretty much any prospect making the wings within three years is pretty slim.