View Single Post
10-02-2012, 03:20 PM
is the Legend
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Nice pic!

I personally think he should go the CHL route. It has a proven track record of producing good NHL talent and Slovakian's are no exception. I actually can't think of the last Slovak player who played exclusively in Europe before coming to the AHL that actually MADE the NHL. Tomas Tatar could be that player.

However, plenty of guys come here and do very well. Martin Marincin, Richard Panik, Martin Gernat, Peter Ceresnak, Marek Tvrdon, Tomas Jurco, Jaroslav Janus, Marek Viedensky, Marek Hrvik have all been in junior recently and look to have bright futures (not all will obviously make an impact at the NHL level); and current NHL players: Zdeno Chara, Marian Hossa, Andrej Sekera, Andrej Meszaros, Peter Budaj, Tomas Kopecky, Jaro Halak all came to the CHL and have had productive careers or look to be doing so over here.
I understand what you're talking about and I agree with you. However you should understand CHL is not the only way anymore. Slavomír Lenér and Ján Filc were talking about it at the meeting in Toronto last year. A lot of Czech and Slovak kids left to CHL in the last decade, but just small number of them made it to NHL. If kid is a real deal, he'll make it to NHL even from Europe. Višňovský, Gábrorík and Tatar did it from Slovak Extraliga. You should acknowlidge in Sweden it constantly works on regular basis.

Now with these 3 new factors there's a good way of development even in Europe for Slovak kids:
1.HK Orange (U20 team) in Slovak Extraliga,
2.Teams in Slovak Extraliga give a chance on young players more than in the past (for various reasons I don't want to specify here),
3. Slovan Bratislava in KHL.

e.g. Marko Daňo made it this way and he's doing pretty well in KHL right now. That can only help him for his future in NHL.

PS All young Slovak hockey players want to play in NHL, because it's the best league in the world. However it doesn't mean, they must play in CHL.

Krotak is offline   Reply With Quote