View Single Post
Old
10-02-2012, 03:47 PM
mytor4*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
There are some trades that when you look back upon and at first glance they may not be as lopsides as the stats nay dictate

the first one the always jumps to mind is one trade, that at first glance looks very lopsided, until you ask the question "Is the game about stats or about winning"?

1980-Feb-18 Traded from Toronto Maple Leafs with Dave "Tiger" Williams to Vancouver Canucks for Bill Derlago and Rick Vaive

Some people view this trade in the same category as the Cam Neely trade

This is where the question I put forward comes in

While Vaive went on to score about 350 goals in a leaf uni and delergo had great years with the leafs

Leafs never got to the cup

However, the canucks, lead by tiger and a bunch of no names made it to the final at against the NYI in 81-82. While history paints tiger williams as a goon and other nasty stuff, Williams, when he had his head on straight was a very good third liner who could play two way hockey and pop in a few goals to help.

While looking at the stats of the trade, Leafs win in a walk and it is not close. Howwever, leafs never got to the cup final and the canucks did and the series against the flames and hawks were two of the most physical games I had every seen

and then you have this scene that is one of the greatest and funniest things I witnesses/

Thing is the Nucks never won the cup with that trade.Leafs won that trade big time.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote