View Single Post
Old
10-02-2012, 03:52 PM
dave babych returns

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I think Garrison is smart enough to play alongside Edler, but then I also thought the same of Salo... That didn't work out so well.

In fairness, Salo was a shade of his former self, so all things weren't equal. Interesting question nonetheless.
Like you said, Salo was a shadow of the player he'd been a few years ago - no question he has the smarts to play alongside anyone in the league but his body simply can't keep up.

If Garrison does not work out on Edler's right side it'll likely be for very different reasons (unless he has a Keith Ballard like run of luck with injuries).

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I agree with this. And despite my assessment of Edler which (for whatever reason people disagree with) I have always maintained that we should sign him to numbers that you mention above.
This is the funny thing about this debate, I think most people's "walk away" number is within about half a million of most other people.. pretty close in terms of the salaries high end players get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Would be nice to essentially "roll" with three pairings much like some teams "roll" with three/four forward lines. Makes for a fresher roster come playoff time.

(eg., have both guys instead of one or the other)
Well, sure. But given the price points those two players were likely to end up at (I still see Ehrhoff's $4m cap hit as a peculiar outcome and don't think it would have been possible here) I think that comes at the long term expense of having all three of Bieksa, Hamhuis and Edler.

And anyway if we had Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Ehrhoff, Ballard and Tanev all in the organization heading into this offseason is there any chance we could have signed Garrison? Leaving money on the table to sign with the team you want is one thing, but doing so and having a really poor shot at a top four role as well? That would be an awful career move for JG.

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote