View Single Post
Old
10-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
Like you said, Salo was a shadow of the player he'd been a few years ago - no question he has the smarts to play alongside anyone in the league but his body simply can't keep up.

If Garrison does not work out on Edler's right side it'll likely be for very different reasons (unless he has a Keith Ballard like run of luck with injuries).

This is the funny thing about this debate, I think most people's "walk away" number is within about half a million of most other people.. pretty close in terms of the salaries high end players get.

Well, sure. But given the price points those two players were likely to end up at (I still see Ehrhoff's $4m cap hit as a peculiar outcome and don't think it would have been possible here) I think that comes at the long term expense of having all three of Bieksa, Hamhuis and Edler.

And anyway if we had Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Ehrhoff, Ballard and Tanev all in the organization heading into this offseason is there any chance we could have signed Garrison? Leaving money on the table to sign with the team you want is one thing, but doing so and having a really poor shot at a top four role as well? That would be an awful career move for JG.

Agreed. I doubt Garrison signs here with that scenario. Or if the team would want to sign him, given contracts already on the team/roles. That's why I see it as an either or debate, instead of having both.

I think Garrison has the potential to be exactly what Edler needs both offensively and especially defensively. His shot takes attention away from Edler, and his defense is superb (per advanced stats). With Ehrhoff, the pairing was fragile defensively, but great offensively. With Garrison, it stands to be good at both ends (although still not as good offensively as it would be with Ehrhoff). Ill take that trade off any day.

Bleach Clean is online now   Reply With Quote