View Single Post
Old
10-02-2012, 06:29 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
The biggest reason we have Garrison (and so cheap) is because he is a BC boy with a connection to the team (MayRay). Could you imagine if we didn't get Garrison? We would still be missing that top 4 dman & I don't think Gillis would have overpaid a UFA to fill that.... however in the Luongo trade who knows?!?!

You're right Gillis does have balls & sometimes it really backfires. Gillis could have just dumped Ballard & kept Ehrhoff in reality.
True but we didn't know we were getting Garrison back then, in hindsight I'd take the Hoff at $5m over Ballard. We still had Salo-Bieksa-Tanev (+ continuing conversion attempt on Ballard) for the right side.

It would also have ruled us out of the Schultz sweepstakes before it began (Hoff/Bieksa/Tanev on the right, assuming he was even on Gillis's radar.

The real reason was the big prize - Weber. We were in there trying to get him until Philly screwed things up. It feels like that is what Gillis was planning for when we let Ehrhoff go. Either Bieksa or the Hoff for the second pairing - I we had Weber I'd probably take the Hoff over Bieksa - without Weber I'd take Bieksa. Ballard could always have been moved if we got Weber and Garrison.

I can always dream of what might have been in hindsight (Edler-Weber, Hamhuis-Hoff, Garrison-Tanev).

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote