View Single Post
Old
10-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Sounds like ol' Lindy may not have loved the trade that was roundly cheered by 90% of the fanbase.
That could very well be the case - it's hard to gauge. In this article about Vanek in today's TBN, Ruff speaks of Roy's past role in a fairly-flattering light:

Quote:
"If you look at Derek's ice time you know what I thought of him as a player because he led our team in ice time," Ruff said. "I think he had a real tough stretch. He dealt with some tough injuries. Asked probably a little bit more in some situations. During our run at the end of the year, he was a big part of it. Pushed hard to have us play with a little bit more of an edge.

"We're going to miss his playmaking, but in Derek's case he probably thinks it's a new look for him knowing he was a big part of our team."
http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs...87/sabre=space

Yet, in the Vogl blog for TBN I posted above, he characterizes Ruff as:

Quote:
"We’ve got some versatility with Steve Ott in the middle of the ice," said Ruff, who was OK with giving up Derek Roy's skill in exchange for Ott's grittiness.
My hunch is that as soon as either of the specialty teams go south, Roy's departure will be a frequent reference in Ruff's post-game interviews.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote