View Single Post
Old
10-02-2012, 11:14 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
Lets look at some of the young stars/guys who would seriously help the Wings, shall we?

Mike Richards, LA Kings - 24th overall
Claude Giroux, PHI Flyers - 22nd overall
Jonathon Quick, LA Kings - 72nd overall
Adam Henrique, NJ Devils - 82nd overall
Travis Zajac, NJ Devils - 20th overall

Since hockey has been so off my radar lately, I am having a real hard time remembering all the young guns I really like watching. Its the nature of my memory, or lack thereof. So I went to ESPN and searched each team and was overwhelmed by how many very late 1st round picks and beyond are making huge impacts.

Wings dont have that. Is it philosophy (smallish Euro players)? Is it luck? Cant answer those questions, but I can say the Wings are being seriously outfoxed in the draft these days.

Wings dont need to tank, they need to draft better, more impactful players like the rest of the league seems to. Not once every 4 years, either. Every year a team should draft an NHL player that takes no more than 3 years to make the big club.
I could be wrong, guess I should look it up, but did we actually have a chance at any of those three in the first round. I know for a fact based on where Richards was taken they had no shot on him.

I get the general point but just picking after the fact and not taking into account the whole picture seems a bit unfair.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote