View Single Post
Old
10-03-2012, 04:32 PM
BubbaBoot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Like anything else, twitter and other social media are tools. Just as the telegraph was a tool, and the telephone, teletype and so on. I wonder if any 19th century journalists railed against the telegraph?

A good journalist uses whatever tool is available to do his or her job. The one thing social media has done is make that tool available to everyone, but what's wrong with that? Quality will still be the watchword. I read someone like Bob McKenzie because he's good at his job; I ignore bozos like hockeyyyinsiderrrr because he's a moron. The medium makes no difference.

If Dupont or any other "mainstream" journalists have trouble with bloggers, perhaps they should stop expecting their readers to pay attention to them because they're dishing up what's served to them by the NHL clubs they cover, and get out there and bust their tails, the way guys like Kirk or Bob Mand are doing. Tell me how the Bruins prospects are doing. What's going on with Providence? Tell me what guys like Danny Paille are up to. How is Dougie Hamilton dealing with the lockout?

If Dupont wants to write interesting stuff about the Bruins, I'll read it. If he wants to rant about bloggers, sneer at fans, and dump on Bruins players, as he's done for the past few years, I'll pass.
Good post with good examples...you and Seattle may have broached the core problem but I do empathize with him possibly being somewhat intimidated and annoyed by (A) the new technology and (B) the influx of mediocrity it brings into vogue.

That's not to say that someone han't become complacent either, (which seems to be the thrust of many arguments here), and I don't want to generalize an entire generation but maybe reasserting one's name among the younger crowd can be a tough task given that newer generations usually are looking at older, established names with contempt as not being "with it", (granted this is more prevalent in the entertainment industries than it is in sports).

Personally, on a work basis, I now have to consider using what little spare time I have towards twittering and facebooking so as to sell myself and my work. I'd rather keep my personal down-time as down-time and private. Using it as a tool just seems so innocuous and trivial to me. I mean selling yourself on the social media is an oxymoron, isn't it?

Call me a troglodyte, I don't care....while I check the internet for quick scores, immediate facts or weather or whatnot, (HFB is the only site I spend any real appreciable time on, sad, eh?) I prefer paper and print for pleasure. Put me on the beach with a book, magazine or newspaper and a lemonade and I'm happy. Don't want a tablet, don't want a kindle, don't want to twitter about my tan, don't want to get a tweet that Chara ate pirogues in Kiev this morning, don't need 15 minute updates on the NHL/NHLPA talks on my iPhone....enough is enough, eh?

Sorry, rant over....just my own encroaching curmudgeons getting the better of me.

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote