View Single Post
Old
10-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
Good post with good examples...you and Seattle may have broached the core problem but I do empathize with him possibly being somewhat intimidated and annoyed by (A) the new technology and (B) the influx of mediocrity it brings into vogue.

That's not to say that someone han't become complacent either, (which seems to be the thrust of many arguments here), and I don't want to generalize an entire generation but maybe reasserting one's name among the younger crowd can be a tough task given that newer generations usually are looking at older, established names with contempt as not being "with it", (granted this is more prevalent in the entertainment industries than it is in sports).

Personally, on a work basis, I now have to consider using what little spare time I have towards twittering and facebooking so as to sell myself and my work. I'd rather keep my personal down-time as down-time and private. Using it as a tool just seems so innocuous and trivial to me. I mean selling yourself on the social media is an oxymoron, isn't it?

Call me a troglodyte, I don't care....while I check the internet for quick scores, immediate facts or weather or whatnot, (HFB is the only site I spend any real appreciable time on, sad, eh?) I prefer paper and print for pleasure. Put me on the beach with a book, magazine or newspaper and a lemonade and I'm happy. Don't want a tablet, don't want a kindle, don't want to twitter about my tan, don't want to get a tweet that Chara ate pirogues in Kiev this morning, don't need 15 minute updates on the NHL/NHLPA talks on my iPhone....enough is enough, eh?

Sorry, rant over....just my own encroaching curmudgeons getting the better of me.
No problem, but nobody's forcing you to carry a kindle or to follow anyone on twitter. Like that loud music that kids play these days, if you don't like it, turn it off.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote