Thread: Speculation: Paul Ranger
View Single Post
Old
10-03-2012, 04:43 PM
ThatGuy22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
He's from the Toronto area. He wants to play in the area. It's a two way contract but one year. He will be a UFA after the season. For now he is property of the Leafs.

But don't you think if he signed a contract as a UFA with Toronto and stated he wants to play in the Toronto area and is Toronto property that there is a high likelihood of him playing in Toronto f he is successful with the Leafs?

But of course let's pretend he just signed with the Leafs so he could practice here and once he gets back to the NHL he'll sign somewhere else. Because that makes more sense.
He did not sign a two contract. He signed a Minor league contract with the Marlies. I don't know if there is a clause like others state that he can only sign with the leafs while under contract with the Marlies(although I would be surprised if thats allowed by the AHL cba).

That said, on your second point. While I do think if he does end up signing an NHL deal, it will probably be with the Leafs. I don't think its out of the question for a guy thats been out of hockey for a couple years to sign an AHL deal with a team solely because its close to home. Its an AHL deal, so its not like he is making a million bucks this season. He is probably getting around the league minimum after being out so long. An NHL deal, with any team would increase his salary atleast 5 times and he would probably be a lot more open to moving.

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote