View Single Post
Old
10-03-2012, 07:06 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
back to the pete best thing for a moment. With it being the 50th anniversary of the release of love me do there have been some radio specials in here in London and they talked about why Ringo ended up in the band. The DJ who was on worked in Liverpool when they switched Ringo for Best and he said that when the band came back from Hamburg that there was obviously a problem between some of the band and Best. He suggested that Best may have missed a gig or showed up late or something and that was something that the other band members would not tolerate. He went on to talk about the fact that in the Liverpool scene, Ringo was actually a bigger name than the other guys because he had played in so many bands over the years he was well known by dj and concert promoters and had a solid reputation as a good band member and new his place in the band and was one of the better drummers on the scene.
They went on about the time leading up to the release of Love me Do and how the band's attitude changed after Ringo joined and seemed more business like

I think the seeds of the change were planted in Hamburg when Pete Best went out for the day, missed a recording gig with the second from man from Rory and the Hurricanes and Ringo recorded three or four songs in October 1960 and according to a few books George Martin was not a fan of Best's drumming

Last edited by jumptheshark: 10-03-2012 at 07:49 PM.
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote