Thread: NHL Fan Boycott
View Single Post
Old
10-03-2012, 11:13 PM
sandysan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilus View Post
Since the season ticket thing started with me, I'll pipe in my two cents.

Disagree. Going by Toronto (which I'm most familiar), I know people holding season tickets that have been in their family since the Gardens went up in the 1930s. I know people who've held season tickets personally for the last 30 years. Yes if those fans drop their season tickets then others will scoop them up. However, this would set off alarm bells for the Leaf owners. If I owned the team, I'd rather have STH's who've been buying my product for generations than someone new, because I have no track record that the someone new will be still buying tickets in five years. Toronto's about as solid a lock for ticket sales as any rink in the league, but if generational fans are lost, the team would eventually have to actually spend money to ensure new holders are roped in long enough to get their kids buying tickets once they grow up.

Twenty years ago it was incredibly difficult to find a Blue Jays ticket. The Jays sold out because they were winning. It can be argued the SkyDome sellouts stopped with the Jays on-field decline. It can be argued the sellouts stopped because of the '94-95 strike. And it can be argued the Jays hadn't been around long enough to establish a legacy base of STH's that crossed over for generations. Legacy customers do not need advertising to get them into seats, they do not need a winning club (as the Leafs have proven). They're there because of nostalgia. If a club like the Leafs ever loses that, it's entirely possible they may never get it back. Any backlash from long standing STH's would trigger alarm bells with the Toronto brass. I know people aren't ready for taking the step of dropping their season tickets. But if things ever go that far, it's the strongest warning possible for the owners.

Sure if it is one to one but it is not, if you have leafs season tickets there are many people ( or companies) who would gladly take your position should you decide to leave. I really think that the owners don't care whose buts are in the seats, as long as the butts are there. Until empty seats start showing up in tor and mtl there is not much of a problem and I don't anticipate this happening for any reasonable situation.

The leafs are pretty much immune to many of the market forces that many other teams face, no playoffs for the entirety of the last cba and STILL the most coveted ticket in the city. I'm all for nostalgia but people didn't bail when they left the gardens. Even if the leafs suffer a slight amount it's nothing but a scratch whereas the same loss of revenue to some of the have not teams is a fatal blow. Honestly the leafs have had some horrible ownership and prolonged periods of futility and that could not reduce demand.