View Single Post
Old
05-09-2006, 11:16 PM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave
Interesting post. But the thing with Gainey (and Carbonneau probably) is that it's about the 23 man roster more than the line-up on any given night.

Centers
Koivu
Ribeiro
Plekanec
Bonk

Wingers
Higgins (LW)
Ryder (RW)
Kovalev (RW)
Murray (LW)
Zednik (LW/RW)
Perezhogin (LW/RW)
Begin (LW)

Defencemen
Komisarek
Rivet
Dandenault
Souray
Markov
Bouillon

This is pretty much the core without Bulis and co., and there's only 17 players. Guys like Lapierre and Kostitsyn or some wildcard rookie might take spots, but that still leaves a lot of room, especially as both Zednik and Ribeiro could be on their way out.

I guess my point is that Gainey has a lot of tinkering to do with the forwards. There's a lack of veteran depth everywhere, for every role. I think that's what Carbonneau meant at the PC when he mentioned his shopping list for the off-season. I'm expecting more Begin, Downey, Murray type moves, but involving somewhat higher caliber players. I'm not really expecting a stud defenceman or big scorer through FA.
I'm sure you would like to bring the roster up to at least 19 with the addition of a couple of goaltenders. The identity of those two is a lot more important than that of the others on your list.