View Single Post
Old
10-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Broad Street Elite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Except MacKinnon isn't Crosby, and Jones isn't Johnson.

At worst, 2008 would seem a better comparable--Stamkos vs. Doughty--but at this point is their respective careers, doesn't Jones have a much higher ceiling than DD did at the time?

I've read Pronger-lite comparisons in terms of his physical tools--though I'll be the first to admit that I'm not in a position to make that call.

If MacKinnon is clearly a generational talent, and Jones is just a nice looking defensive prospect, then obviously you take MacKinnon. My sense, though, was that the gap between the two was not nearly that pronounced--something more like Larsson vs. RNH at the start of their season.
I've seen MacKinnon play several times and admittedly seen Jones only once. Hard to say on comparisons. You need to remember that at this stage, Couturier was was still considered the consensus BPA relative to RNH. Crosby had a little bit more allure than MacKinnon did, but MacKinnon definitely has had that long term follow more akin to Crosby/Stamkos than RNH. How that translates is anyone's guess.

I guess right now, I just see a bit more of the "it" factor... generational potential, etc... in MacKinnon. As I have stated numerous times, this could all change between now and the draft.

Broad Street Elite is online now   Reply With Quote