View Single Post
Old
10-04-2012, 09:14 PM
FLYguy3911

vCash: 500
Unlike most FA's, BJ Upton is only 28. His value automatically increases because you are theoretically getting his 'prime' years. He's a talented player. One of my favorites in the league, but he's a strange player. Go look at his numbers year by year. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it. 24 HR's one year, 9 the next year. 97 walks one year, 57 the next. What this tells me is his approach changes on a consistent basis.

In 2007, he hits .300 and 24 HR's. Hasn't been close since. It may seem like a fluke, but you can obviously see what he's capable of. This guy is as talented as they come. Fast, good fielder, cannon for an arm, and good power. Getting away from Tropicana Field automatically increases his likely output. He strikes out a lot, but unlike past Phillies teams, this team really doesn't strike out that much (because they don't walk). Besides, 5 of the 8 teams that struck out the most are in the playoffs. He's not going to hit for a high average and fans will definitely get on him for that based off the contract he will get. If you can get passed that, he can help this team. One thing I am concerned about is his walk rate dropped 4% this year. As a team that desperately needs guys that can get on base, that is a concern.