View Single Post
Old
10-05-2012, 01:05 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
- I'm sure they were good enough to skate against largely depth players for most of their careers.
If you believe this is the case, please prove it. Best I can tell, Brown and Maxwell were top-pairing guys on good teams in their primes. Langlois wasn't necessarily a top-pairing player, but he was skating against Original Six teams whose second lines were filled with players who would be first-liners in the expansion era. I'm not sure where you got Butcher as a bottom-pairing guy but I'm pretty sure that's not true, other than in his twilight years.

Quote:
Brown (described in his profile as a "spare" defender)
He was the 7th guy I drafted. IE, the "spare" slot before I drew up lines. He was hardly a spare, skating with Howell and Park on the top pairing.

Quote:
I never attacked your center depth. It's better than mine. My team is largely a board play/defensive team. I needed quality wingers and versatility for my gameplan to be successful. The depth lines score off the cycle, not from free-wheeling rushes.
It not an issue of how they score, but of how MUCH they score.

In fact, it's even broader than that. Even a slight advantage in puck possession, over a 7 game series, tends to tilt the matchup rather dramatically. Defensive players get burned out if their team doesn't have the puck, and it's a safe bet that your bottom 9 won't generate many big offensive games. How long are they going to bend before they break? Sooner or later, the large edge in offensive skill will cause a breakthrough.

Quote:
-It made sense to me that in a Minor League Draft, that I wouldn't be able to get elite offensive talent...how could you? So, I got some the finest offensive players I could find (and have gotten credit for doing a credible job with my first unit, including having the best transitional and best overall d-man in the league) and then went in search of players whose job it was to shutdown ATD players because then I knew they would have no trouble with any caliber MLD players.

... I can't stress the point enough, Andre Pronovost was assigned to shutdown Gordie Howe...there's going to come a time in this series when he lines up next to Joe Juneau and then he's going to whisper to Terry Crisp, "who is this?"
Frankly, I think you've underestimated the quality of competition in this league. Charlie Burns was also assigned to shut down Howe; do you think he's going to be "run roughshod" by Gus Bodnar and Patrice Bergeron?

We drafted from the same pool of players. My players came by their offensive numbers by beating ATD'ers too -- defenders who in most cases were better than yours. That dynamic applies to both teams equally.

Quote:
At no time will this team be caught off-guard defensively, no point.
You realize Brian Campbell is your #1 defenseman, right?

Quote:
I'm not sure how the box scores read in the mind's of the voters for my previous series...but we didn't need more than 2.5 goals per game in these playoffs to get to this point.
If that's the strategy you want to project, that Winston-Salem will win the series if they average more than 2 goals, I'm happy to say I agree.

Of course, you're getting that number on the assumption that your first line isn't susceptible to extended cold streaks, so who knows what the real target will be.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote