View Single Post
Old
10-05-2012, 03:28 AM
Martini*
Gods Team

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
His point had nothing to do with proof. He was talking about attracting viewers and you're talking about economic implications of tv games. That being said, are you going to tell me that TV viewership of sports doesn't attract fans??!?!
You said;
Quote:
Still has nothing to do with his point. Home games on t.v. attract new fans is what he was saying.
And I said, post proof that home games on television attracts new fans.

Simple question, and one that begs to be answered when its been repeated ad nausem that the fastest way to turn casual fans into actual hockey fans is by actually taking them to an actual hockey game and seeing the sport first hand.

Wait, I get it. So, by having twice as many games on television the thought that somebody clicking their remote might suddenly or accidentally turn on a hockey game and be mesmerized by the grace and speed of the game? Well, you might have an arguement if people actually watched hockey. But alas, they dont. Ratings back up that sad truth.
Quote:
We are talking about hockey fans, are we not?
You said;
Quote:
#2 The majority of the public does not watch sports on streaming web sites.
And to that I said the majority of the public doesnt watch hockey, and on that note, I am right. Now, since we are talking about hockey fans instead of the majority of the public, which is what you said, dedicated hockey fans will indeed watch hockey via streaming sites, why not? Now, before I go into detail, lets remedy what else you have said and answer these questions as a whole;
Quote:
What does non hockey fans have to do with this discussion?
You said it with;
Quote:
#2 The majority of the public does not watch sports on streaming web sites.
You tell me.
Quote:
You are talking in circles and making absolutely no sense!
Huh?
Quote:
The majority of hockey viewers are not watching hockey on crappy streams. Those people are typically your out of market diehards.
Which is, exactly what is the entire hockey fanbase?

Quote:
Have no idea what the first part means? What is wrong with not putting home games on t.v.? You're the economic genius, you can figure that out for yourself.
When Bill Wirtz did it? It was a different time, and there was nothing wrong with the actual business model of getting fans to actually pay to see home games instead of giving it away for free. Why should he when he was selling the place out and making huge amounts of money? It wasnt broke, why fix it? He had all the seats filled in the old Stadium every single game and Bill never cried poor, not once when the Hawks made the playoffs for how many decades straight.

Now, did he adapt to the times in the internet age? Of course he didnt. But he was obviously stuck in his ways, and considering it was his team, why should anybody even care when nobody could change his mind no matter what? It was what it was, and pointing a crooked finger at a guy who didnt have to change his views no matter what is just arguing for the sake of hearing one speak.
Quote:
Expecting to draw new fans by not showing off your product is a stupid business model. If was fairly obvious when it was in place that it did NOT work!
It did. Like it or not. Wirtz made enough money that he felt comfortable protecting his STH's and didnt budge a bit for nobody. That, says enough about the mans character to me and his loyalty to those who actually spent money to see his product on the ice. So loyal, that he never had to increase ticket prices 200% to compensate other avenues of marketing so a family of four could go out and actually afford to see a game.

Bill Wirtz gets a bad rap, but if you actually understand business, you would respect what he did and be impressed.He knew what if you went to the game, you would be hooked and that watching hockey on TV wasnt the same. The guy was old school and that isnt a bad thing considering ratings for Hawk games now prove him right all along.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote