View Single Post
Old
10-05-2012, 08:18 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
I think that Fehr was like hey you caved after missing a season so steel yourselves into missing one and you'll "win" the next round.... Not seeing that will happen.

Been commented on in the media but I do agree that owners first proposal sans the salary roll back would have gone far in lessening the players angst.
Any player taking that advice is crazy. Losing this season will wipe out anything they could gain by getting a better deal from next season on. Best it does is hurt the owners too, but cutting off your nose to spite your face doesn't make sense when you've got a relatively short time to earn what you can. Even if it sets them up better for the next round of CBA uncertainty, that's 6-7 (+?) years down the road and for many guys will be almost meaningless.

I mean, at least for the owners the lockout reduces their costs. I don't see how the players could possibly think that their position will be strengthened by a long lockout. Most of the owners won't get hit as hard by the lockout, will have more to gain by getting the deal they want (i.e. will be invested in the league longer than most individual players), and have more safety nets to fall back on.

Honestly, the only leverage the players have is that they're largely irreplaceable, but that doesn't do them any good unless they can come up with a viable alternative to the NHL to continue their careers in. The KHL is only an option for a select few...