View Single Post
Old
10-05-2012, 11:37 AM
marcel snapshot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
I think that Fehr was like hey you caved after missing a season so steel yourselves into missing one and you'll "win" the next round.... Not seeing that will happen.

Been commented on in the media but I do agree that owners first proposal sans the salary roll back would have gone far in lessening the players angst.
Agree with both points, players apt to be much more steely this time around. After 04-05, they have no excuse for thinking lock-out might be short.

Second point is spot on. The players are clearly willing to move down from 57% (and I believe would be willing to stair-step down to at least 50% over life of a new CBA - I mean Fehr had to have told them that based on where the NBA ended up that's the likely outcome), but they are totally pissed off about the roll back of existing contracts. They're hockey guys - the idea that clubs would look them in the eye and say here's how much I'll pay you for the next 3, 5, 7 years and then shortly thereafter say never mind we said whe'd pay that but we don't want to anymore -- well, that's the sort of weasel-ly crap that doesn't sit well with hockey guys.

Take the existing salary rollbacks off the table, this thing gets done quickly. But the players won't move on the split of HRR until that happens IMO