View Single Post
Old
10-05-2012, 12:42 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
IMO there's a difference between not getting your all money due to the operation of an escrow provision in a CBA in existence when you signed the agreement and not getting your money simply because the owners decided to use the next CBA to undo a bunch of contracts from the last one. I think if they would just unequivocally say we're going to honor existing contracts it would remove some of the poison and enable the going-forward issues to be more readily addressed.
In effect all it would be doing is lowering the revenue projections for this season, bringing the cap/floor/midpoint down by whatever amount they agree to. If the league somehow outgrew the projections (obviously not going to happen now with a lockout) the players wouldn't have lost anything. I understand that they don't want to give up more than they already have, but it's still a silly hard line to take because they have never had the expectation of getting paid what they signed for in these past 7 years. Or, rather, they never signed for a set amount, but rather a set amount +/- some %.

Like I said, they obviously should/would be negotiating it down to minimize losses on current contracts. But making it a deal breaker from the get-go is stupid.