Old
10-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...text-included/

Unlike with context-neutral statistics like wRC+, RE24 takes the number of outs and number of baserunners into account. It does not assume that all home runs are equal, nor does it treat a strikeout with a man on third base and one out as just another out. The rewards for performing with men on base are higher, and the blame for failing in those same situations is steeper as well. This is a metric that essentially quantifies the total offensive value of a player based on the situations that he actually faced. This is not a theoretical metric. If you hit a three run home run, you get more credit than if you hit a solo home run. If you are consistently getting hits with two outs to drive in runs, you get more credit than if those hits come with no outs and the bases empty. And, of course, it’s only an offensive metric, so there’s no defensive component, no position adjustments, and no replacement level. This is just straight up offense, adjusted for the context of the situations that they faced.

Here’s the AL leaderboard for this season. If you don’t want to click the link, I’ll just reproduce the top five here.

1. Mike Trout: +56.52 runs
2. Edwin Encarnacion: +54.44 runs
3. Prince Fielder: +48.12 runs
4. Joe Mauer: +46.51 runs
5. Miguel Cabrera: +45.18 runs

Offense only. Context Included. Trout is #1
WAR is a way better statistic than any of the triple crown stats in determining a player's contribution to his team. But forget WAR.

Look at the above. No WAR. No replacement value. Simply a strict analysis of every single at bat these player had.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 10-05-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: not neccessary