View Single Post
Old
10-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Rob Scuderi

vCash: 500
Not sure why the WHA is being called soft. I've only read the Rebel League, but that and thinking about the situation makes it obvious there were incentives to be more violent, not less.

Also re Nilsson, unless someone much bigger breaks his ankle like Potvin did I wouldn't worry about him showing up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rebel League
Bill Goldthorpe on attempting to rough up "The Hot Line"
After a minute, Goldthorpe came to the bench with sweat dripping off his mug and rasped to Talbot, "Coach, I can't stay with them," "Try staying in your lane then," Talbot advised.

After the next shift, Goldthorpe returned to the bench, again out of breath and covered in sweat, and said to Talbot, "**** it. That didn't work either."

Anders on Ulf
"Ulfie was the brains of our line," says Hedberg. "He made it work with his vision and his ability to distribute the puck. He had no physique and he wasn't much of a skater, but he was very, very competitive. Peter Forsberg is a better skater, but I see the competitiveness there. They'll be a step behind the play and they'll whack and hack their way back into the play. They both have that edge."

Hull before speaking out publicly for the first time in '74-75
"Hull remembers one game in San Diego around the middle of their first season together when the Jets beat the Mariners 9-7. Nilsson picked up five assists and finished the game looking, in Hull's gentle turn of phrase, like "ground hamburger."

Nilsson's description
"It was bad, really bad," says Nilsson. "Guys would get suspended for two or three games now for some of the things they did, and they barely got a penalty in our league."

Hull again
"They took a real ****-kicking that first year," Hull says. "They talk about toughness and competitiveness. I really think that those two guys were the toughest players I ever played with."

Ted Green
"I've played and been around a lot of great players, but I have a great deal of respect for Ulf Nilsson and Anders Hedberg," says Green. "They had to play through a lot of crap and they had the strength of character to do it without changing their game. I'm not sure how they survived. A lot of Canadians wouldn't have taken that abuse and played the game the ways these guys did. It's because of them the NHL is such a global game now.

Mark Howe
"Those guys used to take a beating, but they came right back at you," says Mark Howe. "They were the ones who knocked us off our perch and I have a lot of respect for Anders and Ulfie. They changed the game."

Hull also sat out a game on October 24, 1975 and held a teary-eyed presser the next day in protest of the violence in the WHA

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote