View Single Post
Old
10-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Franchise13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
What got me with Disney is that they used to go after "new" talent for their movies. Studio contract for five years or more at less than market to break in (50s and 60s). If the actor was successful they were stuck with the exclusivity and could usually expect to be used less. it was great in that they got a lot of new names and gave people a chance who would not have got the chance otherwise. But the scale and exclusivity was very extreme. They were actually splurging grabbing mid-level names for lead roles on one-off deals. They were also fairly predatory in their dealings with cartoonists, pretty much sweatshop type.
What I was referring to wasn't that necessarily, but it was related to their terms and contracts that are standard on Disney contracts/negotiating tactics. Not sure if what you say is still prevalent thankfully, or rep firms have wised up to their act. The leads in "Prom" weren't splurge type dollars, and that's the last I saw. Perfect instance of grabbing midlevel names, though both those leads only signed on for that movie iirc.

Disney locking up their "star" before possibly catapulting them with their movie @ pre movie price is not a terrible move on their part. Now obviously the way they handle the process changes the narrative, but hopefully the talent has taken the precaution of securing representation that guards against things that aren't in their best interest. Curious if the Mickey Mouse Club is when this practice started?

Not surprised about the cartoonist comment. A convo me and the Mrs. had with a few people at Disney's own Club 33 over the summer pretty much suggests that level of treatment throughout the company. But like I said, scorned people tend to play the part so who knows. I'm sure there are some positive stories people could share, but those don't tend to be shared.

Man, if the Sharks ever play again, we should have a drink. Can probably swap some interesting stories lol.

Back on topic: This lockout sucks for the Sharks especially. Why? Powerhouse NFL team, two great baseball stories going on while Sharks remain irrelevant news wise. Nice work NHL.

Last edited by Franchise13: 10-05-2012 at 04:28 PM.